Friday, August 22, 2014

One Million Pillowcase Blog Hop by Verna Mosquera


I was excited when I was asked to participate in the One Million Pillowcase Blog Hop. It seemed like such a worthy cause and a wonderful way to share a few of the fabrics from my upcoming collection Snapshot for FreeSpirit Fabrics.

When I went to the All People Quilt link http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/millionpillowcases/freepatterns/index.html I was thrilled to see the many pillow case ideas/patterns that were available to choose from. I knew I wanted something simple enough to make but with some feminine detail. Of course I chose Pillowcase #1 because of the girly ruffle on the casing.

Because the body of the pillowcase was the largest area I knew that would be the focal fabric. I immediately gravitated to VM115 Blooming Border Stripe in Blush. It was the perfect place to feature a stripe.  As with all my collections there is one fabric that is my favorite. In Snapshot it is VM119 Love Birds in Slipper. This vintage inspired toile is so lovely and the pink version just makes me want to sew. I knew I wanted to feature it on the band of the pillowcase. It made the perfect romantic accent. In an effort to set off the ruffle I chose VM120 Moire in Mint.  The combination of the three just screamed “little girl”.





I ran my choices by my sons Milo & Nico and they too gave them the thumbs up. The pattern was quick and easy to follow. As I worked on the project I began to reflect on something personal. I tried to imagine who might use this pillowcase. I began to think of a time several years back when my youngest son was just two years old. He became very ill and was diagnosed with a disease I had never heard of called Kawasaki.

In a matter of days we found ourselves admitting him to the hospital for very serious treatments. It was such a scary time for our family. I remember taking comfort in the few things that were familiar. His favorite stuffed animal, my husband’s hand or my mothers reassuring words, that all would be ok. Luckily my son is healthy and strong today. He is a striving student, athlete and all around happy child. I am so grateful to all who diagnosed and took care of him. We were so lucky that our stay in the hospital was less than a week and that in a matter of months we knew he was healthy and strong.

There are so many families with children who are diagnosed with illness that is way graver and requires much longer stays in the hospital.  I remember taking comfort in the little things and decided I would donate my pillowcase to Children’s Hospital in Oakland, California.  As long as I can remember they have been treating sick children in my area. I hope that this simple gesture of making a pretty pillowcase can somehow bring a sick child some comfort or bring a smile in an unsettling time.

I hope that you will join me, and all of the others who are making pillowcases for their favorite charities. One small effort can make such a change in the world and I am honored to be a part of this amazing effort. 



For more information on how to participate go to http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/millionpillowcases/
Or to participate in the American Patchwork & Quilting First One Million Pillowcase Challenge 24 Hour Sew-A-Thon on September 19-20, 2014 go to http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/sewathon. Join virtually or find a participating shop in your community. BE A PART OF IT!

Verna Mosquera
Best Blogger TipsShare/Bookmark

No comments: